March 22, 2015

Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Publish Date: March 10th, 2015
Publisher: Atria Books
Rating: 5 / 5
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Purchased the Kindle Edition through Amazon.

Blurb:
Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin...



First Thoughts


Colleen Hoover is truly the queen of the young adult contemporary romance genre. She just gets it. Confess has got to be my favorite work of hers yet. I absolutely loved everything about it!


What I Enjoyed

The confessions.
The confessions you read within this novel are true confessions, submitted anonymously by readers. This book is dedicated to all of you who found the courage to share them.
Once upon a time, I used to spend hours scrolling through the #postsecret tag on Tumblr. I learned some pretty interesting things about people. I love how CoHo incorporated something similar into her book. The idea is people anonymously drop written secrets through Owen's mail slot and he paints a picture based on the secrets that speak to him most.

Owen Mason Gentry. Good God. Perfection. He is the epitome of why my fiance probably hates when I read YA contemporary romance. "Owen said this in the book! How come you never say that?" Lol! CoHo, you are giving me an unrealistic expectation of the conversations my fiance and I should be having!

The plot twists/reveals. There were too many to count and each one gave me the chills, punched me in the gut, or just shocked me into a quiet daze. All these secrets just hit me with so much emotion which is what CoHo has always been amazing for! The 5 years ago chapter... there are no words..

Pictures of Owen's artwork in the actual book! One of my favorite scenes was Auburn viewing Owen's artwork before his show. She'd read the confession and right there in the book would be a picture of Owen's painting interpretation of the confession.


Memorable Quotes/Confessions (;

Every day I'm grateful that my husband and his brother look exactly alike. It means there's less of a chance that my husband will find out that our son isn't his.
Sometimes I wonder if being dead would be easier than being his mother.
“I'm scared I'll never feel this again with anyone else," I whisper.
He squeezes my hands. "I'm scared you will.”


Recommended For

Colleen Hoover fans (of course!), young adult contemporary romance readers, or anyone that wants to laugh, cry, and swoon.


5 asterisks


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment